Member injured in AFFCO boiler incident

A boilerman is recovering from serious burns after a flash fire engulfed his upper body in a boiler incident in July at AFFCO’s Moerewa meatworks in Northland.

A second incident early in August alarmed members, who were angry WorkSafe had signed the boiler off as safe – despite concerns being raised about it with management before the accident.

“When they let us put it back online, nothing had been done. Yeah, it did work, but all the controls weren’t up to scratch, that’s for sure,” says a member at the plant.

So, the union issued a media release, demanding the boiler be shut down and that WorkSafe urgently investigate. The result: the boiler was quickly taken off-line, checked, repaired and alarmed to warn of any problems.

“It was that press release that forced their hand, but it should have happened sooner,” says another member.

Your union can confirm our member is doing well, but it’ll be a long road back.

E tū member wins Safeguard award

A Coca-cola Amatil E tū member, Joanne Thompson has won Health and Safety Representative of the Year at the New Zealand Health and Safety Awards, which recognise excellence in health and safety in New Zealand workplaces.

Joanne’s citation says: “Challenged to identify a problem and find a solution, she proposed a better way of keeping pedestrians and forklifts separated. She also created a safety induction video for new starters and contractors.”

Safeguard award winner Joanne Thompson (left)(Credit: McCabe photography)